Apr

Anderson Silva’s Terrible UFC Fight

Wow! As I’ve never been more frustrated while watching an MMA fight than I was last night. Disrespectful taunting, useless hand and head movement and no attempt to finish the fight. What was Anderson doing?

I used to have Silva on my list of favourite fighters to watch but not any longer. I honestly have no interest in seeing him fight ever again.

Over the years I’ve heard many stories from my friends in the sport about Silva’s arrogance and lack of appreciation for fans when he’s outside of the cage. Having never met the guy, I reserved judgement hoping that they weren’t totally true, mainly because I enjoyed watching the guy fight. The thought also bothered me because I feel that talking with fans and signing autographs is one of the best parts of fighting in the UFC. It’s an honour that in my opinion should never be taken for granted.

It’s easy to tell that Damien Maia trained hard for his title shot as he came in shape and prepared to FIGHT! He was hit by some strong shots early on but kept moving forward even when his faced was busted up and bleeding.

Anderson gets hit by a few shots that “surprised” him and then he fights like he’s scared to take chances and strike with a guy that isn’t known for his striking. What kind of championship mentality is that? Even worse was the yelling,taunting and blatant disrespect displayed by Silva in the middle of his stalling tactics.

Too bad Maia didn’t knock him out with one of the strikes he landed in the late rounds. That would have been perfect!

Any Silva fans still left out there?

Categories : Randomness

Comments

1. Dustin says:

The guy needs to take some notes from champs like Fedor. Who is a stand up guy in and out of the ring. I used to love watching Silva fight but anymore unless he gets pushed and challenged his fights arent worth shit.

2. Rob says:

I was very disappointed. Not sure what that was all about, if he’s just bored or just a jerk, but man… I say give him a p4p top fighter like GSP next and see how arrogant he’ll be. GSP may take criticism for not finishing, but he shows true class and respect at ALL times, and would never resort to those kind of tactics.

3. Lance says:

Short of ground and pounding Maia’s twig and berries I think that was about the most unsportsmanlike Silva could have been.

On the topic of ufc 112…

Edgar vs Penn reminded me of Mir vs Nogueia. Edgar looked very good and at the same time Penn looked way off his game. Maybe Edgar was just too hard to hit??

4. Paul Sheridan says:

Maybe it is time for the taunting to be addressed by the officials. Take a point or two off of a fighter who plays these childish games. That’s what would happen in a karate tournament when you’re point sparring. Can you imagine what would happen if you behaved in such a way when point sparring? And if it continues, give him three stikes, three chances and then he’s out. Disqualified. Who wants to pay the price of a ticket or buy pay per view for that nonsense?

5. Rob says:

Terrible fight…terrible. I have no interest in seeing him fight on a main card event again.

6. David says:

Silva’s actions were deplorable. I can’t wait to see Chael Sonnen (though he has a bit of an attitude himself) ground and pound him into lala land.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed. While it has potential for abuse, perhaps a card system, similar to what was used in Pride of inactivity, could be used. When it starts costing fighters money, they will knock that crap off…